Monday, April 12, 2021

Life at Green House Homestead

 

I am pretty sure that somewhere in my past posts I mentioned that hubby broke his leg in 2017.  He had to have at least four surgeries. He had to have a special type of knee replacement, too.  Long story short after all those years, he was finally walking with a cane and going to therapy.  He even started driving himself!  It was too good to be true, though.  Yes it was.

On April 1st (I think it was) it was a rainy day.  Hubby had therapy to go to.  He was driving himself there, but I asked him if he wanted me to drive him.  I was kinda scared his truck would slid in the rain.  I asked him and asked him, but he said, ‘no, I can do it.’  My inner gut said to take him but, honestly, I wanted to give him some independence and I wanted a couple of hours to myself since we are together 24/7 now.  So hubby went out the door.  A few minutes later my phone rang.  It was hubby!  “Can you come out to the truck and help me?”  Well, that’s weird, he never had trouble before getting into the truck.  I looked out the window and he was sitting in the truck with his legs hanging out.  I got my coat on and walked out to the truck.  I looked down at his foot and it was horizontal to his leg!!  I looked at him and he asked me why his foot was crooked.  I asked him if he fell and he said yes.  I told him he broke his foot (ankle).  OMGsh.  I was in shock.  There was no way I could get him into my car to take him to the hospital.  I had to call the ambulance.

I walked (sprinted) into the house.  I dialed 911.  I was on hold for about four minutes.  It was unbelievable.  Finally when the operator answered the phone I told her the situation.  She said she’d send someone out.  I hung up with her and went back outside, in the pouring rain and waited with hubby for the ambulance to arrive.  And waited, and waited and waited.  Finally I dialed the number to our local fire department.  I was going to ask them if they had been dispatched yet.  Just as I dialed the number the ambulance arrived without lights or siren, I might add.  What the heck???  

They get hubby on the stretcher.  The take him into the ambulance to access him.  I’m still standing in the rain.  I call our kids.  Finally the ambulance guy comes out to let me know which hospital they are taking him to.  I wasn’t happy.  

That night the doctors tried to put him hubby’s ankle back together.  Not only did he break his ankle in three places, he broke his leg in the shin bone area underneath where his pole is in his leg.  They tried putting a halo on his ankle to steady it.  Then he came home in a so called ambulance.  The next day his halo was bleeding all over the place.  It was awful.

A week later I take hubby to doctor for his checkup.  Doctor tells us the halo is broken and hubby has to be admitted to the hospital right now to have more surgery.  I felt my heart drop into my stomach.  The panic attack/anxiety has started.  This is unbelievable.  

So right now, hubby has been in the hospital almost a week.  He will have to have more surgery.  We have tried getting in touch with Dr. Janet Conway/Benjamin Chartier at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore where hubby had his complicated knee surgery, but they have not called us back.  I emailed Ben, hubby left message with secretary and I even texted the doctor.

I guess we are on our own now.  Here we go again.  I think I must cry in my sleep because it feels like my eyes are swollen when I wake up.  Of course I am still dizzy and so off balance and lately I’m even feeling nauseated again.  

When I came home from the hospital last Friday, Maddee was not walking on her left hind leg.  Her hair is falling out again.  Why does everything happen at once.  I am not strong anymore to deal with all this stuff.  I’m not. I’m so overwhelmed.  

Now I’m back to having to take care of everything.  The grass is growing up so high it’s terrible.  I am trying to be good to myself but it’s hard.  So much to think about.

That’s all for now.  

Blessings,
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment