Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cooking

Most of my life I have not been one of those wonderful, great cooks.  I make food just to get by.  I've prepare my share of Hamburger Helper, boxed mac and cheese, etc.  It's almost shameful because I remember mom making scalloped potatoes from scratch and delicious macroni and cheese right out of the oven. And my grandmother made homemade egg noodles (oh, so good!).   I never really learned how to do that kind of cooking, but I sure do miss it.  I have a shelf full of cookbooks.  From time to time I take them down and look through them.  I vow to make this and make that, but it never happens.  One of this year's resolutions was to make a weekly menu plan, but that never got started either.  I have a drawer full of recipes, too.  What to do with them all I kept asking myself.  I thought about typing them all into one of those online recipes sites where you can eventually publish your own cookbook.  So I googled some sites and found this one:  http://www.tastebook.com/.  This is not just a regular 'type in your own recipe then print them off' book.  For about $20 you can order your own recipe book on glossy paper, in a spiral book that opens so you can add more recipes.  Not only that, you can import recipes from other food sites.  You can also design the front cover of your book and title it with whatever you want it to say.  And, you can download pictures of whatever you want...either the dishes you've made or your family or whatever.  I've never seen anything like it before and I was thrilled to find this.  I have already download a couple of recipes.  Finding this site has kinda kick started me into cooking because I want to try out recipes before I download them into my cookbook.  This has also prompted me to want to watch that movie Julia and Juliet.  Maybe I will plan to watch it this weekend.

Another site I have been looking at is this one: http://www.newdressaday.com/.  This lady is something else.  After watching the movie Julia and Juliet, she came out of the movie wondering what kind of impact on people she could have.  So she decided that since she is creative with sewing she would give herself a $1 a day allowance to buy a dress and re-create it.  Well, they aren't dresses that she would wear, she buys things people have given away and turns them into cute outfits.  It's amazing what she had done with discarded clothes.  All her outfits that she buys she gets at the thrift store in the $1 pile.  She is day 340 and has only $28 left to spend.  She's amazing.

Some people find their niches and can share it with the world.  Others have something worthy to give but seem stuck as to how to share it.   I guess some people are suppose to be an inspiration to others to get them out of their cocoon and find what they are good at.

Off to the kitchen I go to make meatloaf.  I'm gonna carefully measure my ingredients so I can put it in my cookbook!

1 comment:

  1. Hi-Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the idea of making your own cook book. It would make a neat gift for family members. I saw the $1 dress girl on the Nate Berkus show and her creations were amazing. I'll have to check out her website, too.

    ReplyDelete