Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Haul

In the previous post did I mention that dh and I stopped by Ollie's in State College, PA because they have some great prices on books?  We only get to Ollie's once a year, so I usually have bags of books when I leave the store.  The prices are great; anywhere from $1.99 up to $5.99, but most of the books are $2.99-$3.99.  I could not get this many books in the Christian bookstore for the price I paid at Ollie's. 


Yes, I still have books left over from last year's book haul and I'll probably never finish all the reading, but at least I know they are waiting for me to plunge into their pages.  It's funny that I like to read so much because when I was in elementary school I had the worse time reading.  My mom used to sit me at the table and make me read to her.  I hated it.  In my day when we were learning to read the government started a new program called sight reading.  It was the worse thing they could have done to kids.  Instead of learning to sound out words, we were taught to recognize them.  That's the trouble I had.  I could recognize words I knew, but when it came to big words I had no idea how to sound them out because we didn't learn the sounds of letters.  Honestly, when my kids learned read, the program their school had was one of the best I'd seen for sounding out letters.  I wish I had learned that way...who knows how much of a better reader I'd be today.



 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment